Oct. 26, 2007
Mason appoints provost search committee members
University of Iowa President Sally Mason has formed a committee to conduct a nationwide search for a new executive vice president and provost, the second most senior position at the university following the president.
Raúl Curto, professor of mathematics and executive associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS), and Michael O'Hara, professor in the CLAS Department of Psychology, will co-chair the committee.
"The provost holds a critical position within the university as chief academic officer and as my second in command," Mason said. "I have every confidence that the committee, with its broad campus representation and highly capable co-chairs, will be able to find excellent candidates for this important leadership post."
The committee hopes to have finalists for the position on campus for interviews by spring.
Lola L. Lopes, UI emeritus professor of management and organizations in the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, is serving as interim provost while the search is conducted to replace Michael Hogan, who resigned as provost in August to become president of the University of Connecticut.
The Provost Search Committee members, including administrative and support staff, are:
* Raúl Curto (co-chair), professor of mathematics, collegiate fellow and executive associate dean, CLAS
* Michael O'Hara (co-chair), Starch Faculty Fellow and professor of psychology, CLAS
* Chesca Colloredo-Mansfeld (search coordinator), director of special projects, Office of the President
* Michael Artman (member), professor and head of Department of Pediatrics, UI Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, and physician-in-chief, UI Children's Hospital
* Barrett Anderson (member), president of UI Student Government and undergraduate student majoring in economics and political science with a minor in history in CLAS
* Michael Cohen (member), professor and head of the Department of Pathology and Richard G. Lynch Chair in Experimental Pathology, Carver College of Medicine
* Nicholas Colangelo (member), director of the Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank International Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development, Myron & Jacqueline Blank Professor of Gifted Education and professor of counselor education in the College of Education Department of Counseling, Rehabilitation and Student Development
* Caren Cox (member), associate director of academic affairs, Graduate College
* Anny Dominique Curtius (member), associate professor of Francophone Studies, Department of French & Italian, CLAS
* Keela Herr (member), professor and chair of the Adult and Gerontological Nursing Area in the UI College of Nursing, adjunct associate director of the UI Hospitals and Clinics Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, and initiative director of the John A. Hartford Center for Geriatric Nursing Excellence
* Keri Hornbuckle (member), professor and chair and Robert and Virginia Wheeler Faculty Fellow in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering
* Jackie Kjaer (search support staff), Office of General Counsel
* Amy Kristof-Brown (member), Martha and Dennis Hesse Research Fellow and associate professor, Management and Organizations, Henry B. Tippie College of Business
* Sarah Larsen (member), associate professor, Department of Chemistry, CLAS
* William Ming Liu (member), associate professor, Psychological and Quantitative Foundations, College of Education
* Marc Mills (ex-officio member), vice president for legal affairs and general counsel
* Nicole Nisly (member), clinical professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Carver College of Medicine, and co-chair, University Charter Committee on Diversity
* Margaret Raymond (member), professor, College of Law
* Michael Ridge Jr. (member), graduate teaching assistant and Ph.D. student in Department of History, CLAS, and president of the Graduate Student Senate
* Vincent Rodgers (member), professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, CLAS
* Glenn Storey (member), associate professor, Departments of Classics and Anthropology, CLAS
* Sarah Tallman (member), administrative specialist, Research Administration, Office of the Vice President for Research, and Staff Council representative and officer
* Jim Torner (member), professor and head of the Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500MEDIA CONTACTS: Raúl Curto, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 319-335-2615, email@example.com; Michael O'Hara, Department of Psychology, 319-335-2460, firstname.lastname@example.org; Steve Parrott, University Relations, 319-335-0552, email@example.com; Writer: Stephen Pradarelli