The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa News Services Home News Releases UI in the News Subscribe to UI News Contact Us

University of Iowa News Release

Aug. 25, 2006

EDITORS: For a related advisory about a media Q&A session scheduled for Monday, Aug. 28, click here.

Photo: Nancy S. and W.A. "Bill" Krause.

Kinnick Stadium Begins New Era With Rededication, Plaza Dedication

Historic Kinnick Stadium on the University of Iowa campus will be rededicated in a public ceremony on Friday, Sept. 1, at 4 p.m., after an $86.8 million, two-year renovation project. The celebration will include the dedication of the new Krause Family Plaza on the stadium's south side along Melrose Avenue. In addition, teammates of 1939 Heisman Trophy winner and stadium namesake Nile Kinnick, who died while serving his country as a Navy aviator during World War II, will unveil a new statue of Kinnick.

The ceremony, which will take place on the Krause Family Plaza, will also feature remarks from UI Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz; new UI Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Gary Barta; UI Interim President Gary Fethke; Robert N. Downer of the Board of Regents, State of Iowa; leadership benefactors W.A. "Bill" and Nancy S. Krause of West Des Moines, who committed $5 million to the renovation and for whom the plaza is named; and others.

The renovation of Kinnick Stadium, which was built in 1929 as Iowa Stadium and renamed to honor Kinnick in 1972, was financed entirely without state funding or UI student tuition revenues.

The modernization project included improvements designed to enhance football Saturdays at Kinnick Stadium for fans, staff, players and media, including:

* Creation of the Krause Family Plaza, a new main entry point for the stadium

* Construction of the Paul W. Brechler Press Box, named in memory of the UI director of athletics from 1947 to 1960, which contains hospitality suites, indoor and outdoor club seating and enhanced media accommodations

* Wider and more comfortable seats

* New and more numerous rest rooms and concession areas

* Renovated and upgraded east and west concourses, and a new south concourse

* A new scoreboard and sound system

* Improved seating and access for persons with disabilities

* A permanent seating section in the south end zone

* New plumbing and electrical systems

* New locker rooms, meeting rooms, medical spaces and other support spaces beneath the south end zone

* New game-day operations areas for maintenance and other staff

* Improved operational spaces for security personnel

Including the Krauses' gift, private contributors committed $15 million to the renovation as part of the UI's Good. Better. Best. Iowa fund-raising effort, which was conducted by the UI Foundation and which raised more than $1 billion for initiatives throughout the university. The campaign ran from Jan. 1, 1999, through Dec. 31, 2005.

The remainder of the financing for the renovation came from gifts that qualify donors for suite and club-seating privileges; increased revenues from concession stands; and additional advertising revenue from the new scoreboards. Revenues from these sources in future years will retire the bonds necessary to finance the construction.

Bill Krause is the co-founder and chairman of the board of Kum & Go of West Des Moines, which owns and operates more than 440 Kum & Go convenience stores throughout the Midwest. He received a UI Distinguished Alumni Award in 2000 and has served as a member of the National I-Club board of directors, including as president. The National I-Club named him "Hawk of the Year" in 1993.

The UI acknowledges the UI Foundation as the preferred channel for private contributions that benefit all areas of the university.  For more information about the foundation, visit its web site at www.uiowafoundation.org.

************************************************************

NOTE TO EDITORS:  Details regarding parking for this event will be available from the UI Department of Intercollegiate Athletics beginning Tuesday, Aug. 29.

Also please note that the interior of Kinnick Stadium and the Brechler Press Box will not be open to the public during the Sept. 1 rededication. Stadium concession stands will not be open for this event.

************************************************************

STORY SOURCE: UI Foundation, P.O. Box 4550, Iowa City, Iowa 52244-4550

For information on Kinnick Stadium and the Kinnick renovation project, contact: Rick Klatt, associate director of athletics for external affairs, UI Intercollegiate Athletics, 319-335-9431, mailto:rick-klatt@uiowa.edu

Or

Phil Haddy, UI sports information director, 319-335-9411, mailto:phillip-haddy@uiowa.edu

For information on Kinnick Stadium fund-raising and the rededication ceremony, contact:

Andy Piro, Executive Director of Development, Intercollegiate Athletics; (800) 648-6973 or (319) 335-3305; mailto:andy-piro@uiowa.edu. Writer: Nic Arp

PHOTOS: High-resolution images of Bill and Nancy Krause are available at:

http://www.uifoundation.org/news/2006/images/mug-BillNancyKrause-highrez.jpg

Web-quality images also are available:

http://www.uifoundation.org/news/2006/images/mug-BillNancyKrause.jpg