University of Iowa News Release
April 22, 2005
Aids Awareness Day, Fashion Show Part Of Black Greek Week April 25-29
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is sponsoring its first Black Greek Week April 25-29, and a variety of events are scheduled at the University of Iowa as part of what organizers hope will become an annual event.
The week will include a basketball tournament, an AIDS Awareness Day, a Community Day, a discussion on eliminating stereotypes and a fashion show. All events are free and open to the public, although there are fees for some of the activities.
Events scheduled for the week are:
* Monday, April 25: Five-on-Five Basketball Tournament, 6 to 8 p.m. at the UI Field House. There is a $10 registration fee, and the winning team wins all the proceeds. For more information, contact Marcus Banks by Sunday, April 24, at email@example.com
* Tuesday, April 26: AIDS Awareness Day, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Iowa Memorial Union's ground floor. AIDS is the third leading cause of death in the African-American community, and organizers will be handing out safe-sex packages and information about AIDS. A discussion on HIV/AIDS will take place at 7 p.m. in the IMU's Ohio State Room.
* Wednesday, April 27: Community Day, 1 to 4 p.m., Highway 1 Hyvee store. Volunteers will be collecting donations for the Crisis Center.
* Thursday, April 28: NPHC educational session on "Eliminating the Stereotypes," 5 p.m. in the Afro-American Cultural Center (Afro House), 303 Melrose Ave., next to the UI Law School. Participants will discuss why it's time to eliminate stereotypes about Greeks and to discuss their roles in the community.
* Friday, April 29: Fashion/Step Show, IMU Main Ballroom. Admission: $10. A social precedes the event at 6:30 p.m., and show time is 7 p.m. The event will feature fashion, dancing and a step show. People who bring a canned good will be entered into a raffle for prize drawings throughout the evening.
For more information about Black Greek Week, contact Jocelyn Jones at (319) 400-3132.
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500.
MEDIA CONTACT: Media: Stephen Pradarelli, 319-384-0007, firstname.lastname@example.org.