University of Iowa News Release
April 19, 2005
Tippie College's Business Week Set For April 24-29
As a way to bring business students together and to highlight their accomplishments, the Tippie College of Business is celebrating Business Week April 24 to April 29.
This is the first annual Business Week in which the undergraduate students have worked together to present a series of social, educational and community service events near the close of the spring semester. Each day, students, faculty and staff in the college can come together for an activity.
"It's a way to celebrate all the great things that have happened at the college this past year and encourage interaction among students in the college," said Amy Bartachek, assistant director of programming in the Tippie College Undergraduate Program Office at the University of Iowa.
In past years, events such as the Student Organization awards banquet and a college-wide barbecue were held in late April. This year student leaders decided to schedule all of the events in one week and add a community service component, Bartachek said.
Highlights of Business Week will include:
* City Park Clean Up, 9:30 a.m. to noon Sunday, April 24, sponsored by the Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity and the Undergraduate Program Office.
* Food and Clothing Drive, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, April 25 through Thursday, April 28, outside W160 Pappajohn Business Building (PBB). Items will be donated to the Domestic Violence and Intervention Center. The Business Student Ambassadors Organization, Leadership Council and President's Council in the Tippie College are sponsoring the drive.
* Leadership Council Barbecue, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 26 on the PBB Patio (rain location is Andersen Galleria). John Deere is sponsoring the barbeque where students, faculty and staff can have a hamburger, chips, cookie, and drink for $2.
* Pearson Leadership Lecture, 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 28 in W10 PBB. Janice Reals Ellig and Bruce Ellig will give a joint presentation on ethics in employment. Reals Ellig is co-author of "What Every Successful Woman Knows: 12 Breakthrough Strategies to Get the Power and Ignite Your Career," published in 2001 by McGraw Hill. Reals Ellig graduated from the UI in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in marketing. She also holds a master's degree in organizational development from Rider University. Ellig has held executive positions with Heidrick & Struggles, Ambac Financial Group, Citibank and Pfizer.
Bruce Ellig spent 35 years at Pfizer Inc., a New York City-based pharmaceutical company, before retiring in 1996. He joined the company's wage and salary department in 1960, and was later named vice president of compensation and benefits and then vice president of corporate personnel. Ellig is the author of several business books, including "The Complete Guide to Executive Compensation." He was 1996 chair of the Society of Human Resource Management.
* Student Organization Banquet, 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 28 at the Iowa City Sheraton Hotel. Outstanding organizations and student leaders will be recognized. The keynote speaker is Prof. Ken Brown.
* Dodgeball Tournament, 4 to 9 p.m. Friday, April 29 at the UI Fieldhouse. Student teams will compete in a double-elimination tournament for one of three prizes. The cost is $30 per five-member team; proceeds will be donated to United Action for Youth.
For more information on Business Week activities, contact the contact the Tippie College Undergraduate Program office at 319-335-1037.
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500.
CONTACTS: Media: George McCrory, 319-384-0012, email@example.com; Program: Amy Baratchek, Tippie College Undergraduate Program Office, 319-335-1037