University of Iowa News Release
July 30, 2003
(Photo: UI staff members preview the state fair exhibit)
UI State Fair Booth To Feature Daily Drawings, Sports Luminaries
The University of Iowa's booth at the 2003 Iowa State Fair promises to be better than ever, with daily drawings for arts and athletic events, visits by such Hawkeye sports luminaries as Bill Reichardt and Chuck Hartlieb and dozens of interactive exhibits demonstrating why the UI is Iowa's university.
"Iowa: Your University" is the theme of the UI's presence this year at the fair, which runs from Aug. 7-17. The booth, bedecked in black and gold and staffed by dozens of UI alumni, top administrators, faculty, staff and students, will for the first time feature a large plasma TV screen, a kiosk where visitors can order Hawkeye tickets online and a marquee announcing exhibitors.
This year's UI booth has several exciting activity/exhibit areas: a general area that will feature exhibitors each day of the fair, a Hawkeye Hall of Fame area, standing displays by the UI College of Engineering and the UI Hygienic Lab, a University of Iowa Health Care area where visitors can receive free blood-pressure screenings, displays about notable UI alumni and Hancher events and a Hawk Shop where visitors can buy the latest Iowa athletics merchandise.
Other highlights of the booth, which will be located in the southwest corner of the air-conditioned Varied Industries Building, include:
- A Hawkeye Hall of Fame area where visitors can view Floyd of Rosedale (a bronze trophy that goes to the winner of each game between Iowa and the University of Minnesota), the Big 10 Conference Softball Tournament Champions trophy (2003), the Big 10 Conference Softball Champions trophy (2003), the Big 10 Champions football trophy (2002) and a display highlighting significant people and events in Hawkeye athletic history. The area will also feature almost daily appearances by former Hawkeye athletes and former and current sportscasters.
- Daily drawings for free prizes, including football tickets (Iowa vs. Minnesota, Penn State, Minnesota, Illinois and other match-ups), Iowa football highlight videos, Hawk Shop gift certificates, media guides and several grand prizes, including a three-game football ticket package, three autographed balls, tickets to upcoming Hancher Auditorium events and a free night at the Iowa House hotel.
- Visits by Herky and the UI cheerleaders: from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Aug. 14, 15 and 16.
- Dozens of interactive exhibits and demonstrations covering science, medicine, archaeology, calligraphy and renewable energy, among others.
- Giveaways of Hawkeye posters, temporary tattoos and buttons
- Live broadcasts of WSUI AM-910 radio's new statewide talk show, Talk of Iowa
- A kiosk where visitors can send electronic postcards to friends and family anywhere in the world
For the latest information about the UI's presence at the Iowa State Fair, go to http://www.uiowa.edu/statefair.
STORY SOURCE: University of Iowa News Services, 300 Plaza Centre One, Suite 371, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-2500.
CONTACT: Media: Stephen Pradarelli, 319-384-0007, email@example.com.