The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa News Services Home News Releases UI in the News Subscribe to UI News Contact Us

University of Iowa News Release

April 10, 2003

Honor Society To Hold Marrow Donor Drive On ISU Campus

Golden Key International Honor Society will sponsor its first marrow donor registration drive from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, April 14, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on the Iowa State University campus. The public is invited to participate.

The society's mission is "to build global communities of academic achievers by providing opportunities for individual growth through leadership, career development, networking, and service." Some members of the organization call the donor drive "a great and unique way to provide service" through the Iowa Marrow Donor Program, which is based at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

The Iowa Marrow Donor Program seeks committed volunteers ages 18 to 60 and in general good health. When joining the Iowa Marrow Donor Program, a person's tissue type becomes registered as part of the Iowa and National Marrow Donor Programs' registries. Once registered, a volunteer may be called upon to donate marrow or blood stem cells to a person needing a transplant to fight a life-threatening disease. Registration is easy, requiring completion of a simple consent form and a small blood sample.

Each year, more than 30,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with diseases treatable by a stem cell transplant. Only 30 percent of the patients who need healthy stem cells from someone else have a suitable family match, leaving the additional 70 percent to rely on unrelated donors.

The Iowa Marrow Donor Program was created in 1981 and became affiliated with the National Marrow Donor Program in 1991. On average, 25 to 30 donors are called to donate each year from the Iowa Marrow Donor Program's registry of 19,219 persons, and many more are called for further testing. Approximately 2,000 people join the Iowa and national registries each year through the Iowa Marrow Donor Program.

For more information about the donor drive or to receive application forms, call the Iowa Marrow Donor Program toll free at (800) 944-8220 or locally at (319) 356-3337.

For more information regarding Golden Key International Honor Society or the donor drive, contact Courtney Wilson, at (515) 956-7798 or by e-mail at sourire@iastate.edu.

For more information regarding the Iowa Marrow Donor Program, contact Debra Hoyle, membership coordinator of the Iowa Marrow Donor Program, by e-mail at debra-hoyle@uiowa.edu. Information about the program can be found online at http://www.iowamarrow.org.

University of Iowa Health Care describes the partnership between the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine and UI Hospitals and Clinics and the patient care, medical education and research programs and services they provide. Visit UI Health Care online at http://www.uihealthcare.com.

STORY SOURCE: Joint Office for Planning, Marketing and Communications, 200 Hawkins Drive, Room 8798 JPP, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1009

CONTACT(S): Tom Moore, 319-356-3945, thomas-moore@uiowa.edu.