CONTACT: STEVE PARROTT
101 Jessup Hall
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 335-0552; fax (319) 335-0558
Release: Dec. 18, 2002
ADVISORY: COMMENCEMENT COVERAGE
EDITORS AND NEWS DIRECTORS: Here are some guidelines designed to assist
members of the news media while respecting the needs of graduates and their
families. If you have questions, please call University News Services (319)
Hancher Auditorium (Graduate College: Friday, Dec. 20, 7:30 p.m.; Henry
B. Tippie College of Business, Saturday, Dec. 21, 9 a.m.)
• Doors open one hour before starting time. Please use the west entrance
to the Hancher lobby.
• No tripods, flashes or lights may be used inside Hancher Auditorium,
and no cords or cables may lie on the floor. In other words, please bring
your batteries and be prepared to shoot from the shoulder.
• Photographers may shoot from the back of the house or from the
balcony. We ask that you be in position before the start of the processional.
Carver Hawkeye Arena (Liberal Arts and Sciences, Education, Medicine and
Nursing: Saturday, Dec. 21, 10 a.m.)
• You may park in Lot 46 (between Carver Hawkeye and the Ronald McDonald
House). If the lot is full, use other nearby parking lots.
• Doors open at 8:30 a.m.
• Full arena lighting will be used, so additional lights should not
be necessary. Flashes and tripods are permitted. Cords may not lie on the
floor in areas of any foot traffic.
• Photographers will be allowed on the arena floor until five minutes
before the graduates begin the processional (9:55 a.m.). Security officers
will make sure that the floor is clear at that time and will keep aisles
clear during the processional.
• Photos may be taken from the perimeter or from Press Row at any
time during the ceremony.