The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa News Services Home News Releases UI in the News Subscribe to UI News Contact Us

 

WRITER: HANVEY HSIUNG
CONTACT: PETER ALEXANDER
100 Old Public Library
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 384-0072; fax (319) 384-0024
e-mail: peter-alexander@uiowa.edu

Release: Jan. 28, 2000

Print exhibition 'From Hayter to Pettibon' opens at museum

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- "From Hayter to Pettibon: American Workshop Prints," an exhibition of 78 prints taken primarily from the permanent collection of the University of Iowa Museum of Art, will be on display from Saturday, Feb. 5 through Sunday, March 5 in the museum's North and East Galleries.

The exhibition, organized by Kathleen Edwards, will chronicle the development of the American print workshop through noteworthy prints from the last 50 years.

An opening reception for the museum's Spring exhibitions will be from 5:30 to
7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 4 at the museum. Other spring exhibitions include "Reading Meaning: Graphic Symbols in African Art," "Carved Paper: The Art of the Japanese Stencil," "Cultural Pleasures and the Natural World: Japanese Prints from the Edo Period," and "Siah Armajani."

In conjunction with the exhibition, the documentary "ink, paper, metal, wood, 35 Years at Crown Point Press" will be shown at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 9 in the museum as part of the museum's weekly Perspectives series. This new documentary features scenes of artists at work in the well known San Francisco print workshop.

Also in conjunction with this exhibition, the museum will present a printmaking demonstration from 1 to 3 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 13 in the printmaking studio of the UI Art Building. "How Prints Are Made" is a special event to be presented by graduate students from the printmaking area of the UI School of Art and Art History. Participants may register for either session by calling (319) 335-1766 Mondays or Wednesdays. Registration is open through Feb. 9.

The exhibition begins with Atelier 17, an intaglio shop founded in 1940 by the British artist Stanley William Hayter, and dedicated to experimentation, research, and new technical possibilities free of aesthetic ideology and commercialism. At Atelier 17 in New York, North American artists worked alongside European artists. The print shop attracted famous exiled European artists and new American recruits including Mauricio Lasansky, Joan Miro, Andre Masson, Jackson Pollock and Louise Bourgeois.

Hayter's ideology of self-reliance inspired a number of influential printmakers who went on to establish printmaking departments at universities and brought printmaking further into the academic arena. Among them was Lasansky, who came to New York from Argentina and relocated to Iowa City in 1945 to direct printmaking at the UI School of Art and Art History. Lasansky founded the Iowa Print Group, who continue the tradition of teaching conceived by Lasansky.

As the demand for trained printers and print facilities increased, two visionary women, Tatyana Grosman and June Wayne, founded Universal Limited Art Editions and Tamarind Lithography Workshop in the late 1950s. These workshops served as models for subsequent workshops including Gemini G.E.L. and Tandem and Landfall presses.

Along with Atelier 17, the achievements of Wayne and Grosman were the major factors contributing to printmaking's resurgence in the United States. As the major artists of that time became committed to the print form, new printers were trained and went on to establish their own shops.

Also included in the exhibition will be prints created at the UI, where the printmaking department regularly invites professional artists for residencies of a week or longer. Typically these artists are called upon to lecture and to offer student critiques. On an ad-hoc basis for the past few years, they have also been invited to use the lithography studio as a kind of research lab in which to develop new projects, giving the students the opportunity to experience firsthand the artist's decision-making process and to be actively involved in the activity.

Postponed from the museum's fall 1999 season, the exhibition was subsequently expanded in order to evidence the breadth of the permanent collection and display many recent acquisitions, gifts and purchases alike. A brochure with an essay by Edwards will accompany the exhibition.

"From Hayter to Pettibon" will include prints by Squeak Carnwath, Jasper Johns, Brice Marden, Robert Rauschenberg, Kiki Smith, James Turrell, Josef Albers, Kara Walker, Frank Stella, Helen Frankenthaler, Art Spiegelman, Vija Celmins and William Wiley.

The UI Museum of Art, located on North Riverside Drive in Iowa City, is open 10 a.m. to
5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free. Public metered parking is available in UI parking lots across from the museum on Riverside Drive and just north of the museum.

For information on the UI Museum of Art, visit http://www.uiowa.edu/~artmus on the World Wide Web. Information is available on other UI arts events at http://www.uiowa.edu/~uiowacr.