CONTACT: STEVE PARROTT
5 Old Capitol
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 335-0557; fax (319) 335-0558
ADVISORY: COMMENCEMENT COVERAGE
EDITORS AND NEWS DIRECTORS: If you wish to cover commencement ceremonies
May 14-17, please contact University Relations (319-335-0557) or University
News Services (319-384-0000). Here are some guidelines designed to assist
members of the news media while respecting the needs of graduates and their
Hancher Auditorium (Pharmacy, May 14, 10 a.m.; Graduate College,
May 15, 2 p.m.; Medicine, May 15, 7;30 p.m.; Business Administration, May
16, 9 a.m.; Law, May 16, 1 p.m.; Nursing, May 16, 5 p.m.; and Engineering,
May 17, 1 p.m.)
* Doors open one hour before starting time. Please use the west entrance
to the Hancher lobby. A University Relations staff member will be available
to assist you.
* No tripods, flashes or lights may be used inside Hancher Auditorium,
and no cords or cables may lie on the floor. In other words, please bring
your batteries and be prepared to shoot from the shoulder.
* Photographers may shoot from the back of the house or from the balcony.
We ask that you be in position before the start of the processional.
Carver Hawkeye Arena (Liberal Arts and Education, Saturday, May
16, 9:30 a.m.)
* You may park in Lot 46 (between Carver Hawkeye and the Ronald McDonald
House). If the lot is full, use other nearby parking lots.
* Doors open at 8 a.m. A University Relations staff member and several
other university officials will be available to help.
* Full arena lighting will be used, so additional lights should not
be necessary. Flashes and tripods are permitted. Cords may not lie on
the floor in areas of any foot traffic.
* Photographers will be allowed on the arena floor until five minutes
before the graduates begin the processional (9:25 a.m.). Security officers
will make sure that the floor is clear at that time and will keep aisles
clear during the processional.
* Photos may be taken from the perimeter or from Press Row at any time
during the ceremony.
* Clean audio is available through the arena system. Ask a University
Relations staff member if you need help.