CONTACT: SHAWN PRESLEY
100 Old Public Library
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 384-0011; fax (319) 384-0024
Winners of Iowa Investment Challenge announced
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Play money turned to cash for 25 University of Iowa
students last month when the awards were given for the spring 1997 Iowa
Investment Challenge stock trading competition hosted by the College of
The winners were among the 58 students who each used a fictional $5
million account to buy and sell stocks during the competition that ran
from Feb. 3 through May 2. Cash prizes were awarded to the students with
the highest cash balance at the close of trading on the contest's final
day. The $350 first prize was awarded to Hock Lye Ho, a finance major who
lives in Iowa City. A total of $3,000 was divided among the 25 winners
with prizes ranging from a first prize of $350 to $50.
In its second year the Investment Challenge is intended to give students
firsthand experience in realistic trading. It uses live price quotes, charges
commissions on trades, pays dividends and allows students to trade only
when the market is open. The data is accessed through Dow Jones Markets,
the same program used by financial professionals, which is available at
the Business School.
The awards were presented at a ceremony held in May in the Pappajohn
Business Administration Building.
The rank of each student, the amount of the award, name and hometown
are as follows:
1. $350, Hock Lye Ho of Iowa City
2. $300, Bob Schnell of Edina, Minn.
3. $250, Mark Thompson of Bondurant
4. $200, Andrea Belzer of Des Moines
5. $150, Chris Augustine of Sioux City
6. $125, Ben Barudin of Davenport
7. $125, Marcus Ekstrand of Sweden
8. $125, Scott E. Alford of Quincy, Ill.
9. $125, Anthony Catalano of Chicago, Ill.
10. $125, Roxana Atristain of Hoffman Estates, Ill.
11. $100, Kenneth R. Haley of Hinsdale, Ill.
12. $100, Phon Vilayoune of Ottumwa
13. $100, Andy Damrow of Cedar Rapids
14. $100, Peter Masucci of Matawan, N.J.
15. $100, Jamie Henley of Tipton
16. $75, Tiffany Houghton of Urbandale
17. $75, Ryan Patterson of Fort Dodge
18. $75, Kevin Yeager of Royal
19. $75, Ben Kuehner of Readlyn
20. $75, Tim Irwin of Arthur
21. $50, Kok-Weng Lai of Malaysia
22. $50, Steve Dufault of Lake Villa, Ill.
23. $50, Teri Fah of North Liberty
24. $50, Shun Lai of Hong Kong
25. $50, Philip Holst of Ida Grove