CONTACT: STEVE PARROTT
5 Old Capitol
Iowa City IA 52242
(319) 335-0557; fax (319) 335-0558
UI seeks input for update of Campus Planning Framework
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- A series of meetings is planned around the University
of Iowa campus to seek input for an update of the Campus Planning Framework,
the master development plan for physical development of campus. Faculty, staff
and students are invited to attend the meetings to discuss the future of the
campus in terms of general appearance, location of new buildings, open spaces,
parking, and pedestrian and vehicular circulation.
The first set of meetings will be Feb. 25-27. In an effort to ensure input
from a cross-section of people on campus, forums will be held in each of six
geographical/functional areas on campus. An evening forum will also be held
for students and others interested in the plan.
Here is a schedule of meeting times and places for each area:
* Tuesday, Feb. 25, 10:30 a.m. to noon, 221 Chemistry Building, for University
Services, intended for university employees in the area east of the Iowa River
and south of Burlington Street.
* Tuesday, Feb. 25, 3 to 4:30 p.m., 106 Gilmore Hall, for university employees
who work in the east residence halls and Old Capitol area, which includes
all academic buildings on the east side of campus.
* Wednesday, Feb. 26, 10:30 a.m. to noon, 4821 Bowen Science Building, for
those who work on the Health Sciences Campus.
* Wednesday, Feb. 26, 3:30 to 5 p.m., 4821 Bowen Science Building, for people
in the Sports Area, including Carver Hawkeye Arena, the Recreation Building,
and the Field House; west residence halls, and buildings south of Melrose,
including Boyd Law Building.
* Wednesday, Feb. 26, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Shambaugh Auditorium, UI Main Library,
for all students and others interested in the plan.
* Thursday, Feb. 27, 10:30 a.m. to noon, Theatre B, Theatre Building, for
the Iowa Center for the Arts and the International Center.
* Thursday, Feb. 27, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Housing Services Building Conference
Room, for the far west campus west of Mormon Trek Boulevard, including people
in family housing.
* Thursday, Feb. 27, 3:30 to 5 p.m., 427 English Philosophy Building, for
targeted campus-wide groups.
The forums are being conducted under the auspices of the Campus Planning
Committee by the University Campus Planning Office. Background information
on the Campus Planning Framework is available on the Campus Planning Committee
web page at http://www.uiowa.edu/~cpc/.
A second set of meetings will be April 9 to allow interested people to review
the draft of functional area development strategies that will be based on
the comments received at the initial meetings. Emphasis will be placed on
blending the functional area strategies into campus-wide perspectives.
A third set of meetings will be May 6 to review a draft of the campus-wide
development strategies that will be based on the input received during the
first two sets of meetings.